our mission, vision, and values...
The Mission of the City of Euharlee is to promote and improve the quality of community life by working in partnership with residents, business owners, and visitors to provide a safe, friendly, healthy, community atmosphere.
• Embrace a vision of opportunity
• Recognize and protect the three tenets of the city: Historic Preservation, Conservation and Recreation
• Provide a safe and inviting community
• Execute responsibly, reliably, and efficiently to a common vision
• Build an inclusive environment with opportunities for all
• Encourage and solicit open communication and participation among employees, citizens, business owners, and visitors
• Provide a family friendly community with solid values and a caring spirit
• Promote economic vitality
• Strategically position Euharlee for the future by supporting planned growth
• Exercise Leadership
• Serve the Public in a Fiscally Responsible Manner
• Illustrate Honest and Effective Government
• Practice a Positive Work Environment
• Represent a Commitment to Excellence
• Foster Community Pride
• Create and Implement an Ongoing Long Range Vision
• Exhibit a Quality Work Design
• Exceed Service Demands by Performing Exceptional Customer Service
• Preserve and Enhance the Natural Beuaty of Our Environment
• Encourage a Vibrant and Diversified Economy
• Develop Partnerships
• Value Tactful, Useful Information
• Provide Honest Communication Internally and Externally
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY...
At the juncture of Euharlee Creek and the Etowah River, lies the City of Euharlee. Euharlee was inhabited for thousands of years by Native Americans. The last Native American tribe to utilize the rich land and waterways for transportation and sustenance were the Cherokee.
In fact, the name Euharlee is a derivative of a Native American word meaning, “She laughs as she runs.” The phrase refers to the sound of the creek as it moves toward the juncture with the river. In 1832, the State of Georgia formed 10 counties from what had been Cherokee land, including Cass County, now called Bartow.
Pioneers began settling around 1834 on the land due to its fertile soil and abundant water for power and irrigation. The settlement was initially called Burge’s Mill, due to the construction of a mill on Euharlee Creek by Nathaniel Burge. As the community continued to grow, expansion was found in the building of cotton gins, stores, churches, schools, and a militia courthouse.
In 1852, the town was incorporated as Euharleyville. Thomas W. Brandon, E. B. Pressley, Leonard Morgan, Allen Dykes, and B.D. Dykes were the first to serve as town commissioners. The population of Euharleyville reached nearly 2300 in 1852.
Then in 1870, the town was chartered with the name Euharlee. Dr. Franklin R. Calhoun, Elihu G. Nelson, and Thomas Tumlin served as commissioners.
The historic covered bridge, which spans Euharlee Creek, was built in 1886 by Washington W. King, son of famed bridge builder and freed slave Horace King, and Jonathan Burke.
Agriculture has long been an important industry and way of life in Euharlee. Over the years, many families lived and worked on farms, and agriculture continues to be a vital part of our community today. In addition, churches and community organizations established in the 1800s are still active in Euharlee today. The Euharlee Farmers Club, established in 1883 is the oldest continuously operating farmers club in the world.
Following the Civil War and up through the early twentieth century, the population of the town dwindled. In 1970 it had dipped to a population of 65. The town was re-chartered in 1976 and has experienced continued residential and economic growth.