The History of Euharlee
At the juncture of Euharlee Creek and the Etowah River, lies the City of
Euharlee. Euharlee was inhabited for thousands of years by Native Americans. The
last Native American tribe to utilize the rich land and waterways for
transportation and sustenance were the Cherokee.
In fact, the name Euharlee is a
derivative of a Native American word meaning, “She laughs as she runs.” The
phrase refers to the sound of the creek as it moves toward the juncture with the
river. In 1832, the State of Georgia formed 10 counties from what had been
Cherokee land, including Cass County, now called Bartow.
Pioneers began settling
around 1834 on the land due to its fertile soil and abundant water for power and
irrigation. The settlement was initially called Burge’s Mill, due to the
construction of a mill on Euharlee Creek by Nathaniel Burge. As the community
continued to grow, expansion was found in the building of cotton gins, stores,
churches, schools, and a militia courthouse.
In 1852, the town was incorporated
as Euharleyville. Thomas W. Brandon, E. B. Pressley, Leonard Morgan, Allen
Dykes, and B.D. Dykes were the first to serve as town commissioners. The
population of Euharleyville reached nearly 2300 in 1852.
Then in 1870, the town
was chartered with the name Euharlee. Dr. Franklin R. Calhoun, Elihu G. Nelson,
and Thomas Tumlin served as commissioners.
The historic covered bridge, which
spans Euharlee Creek, was built in 1886 by Washington W. King, son of famed
bridge builder and freed slave Horace King, and Jonathan Burke.
long been an important industry and way of life in Euharlee. Over the years,
many families lived and worked on farms, and agriculture continues to be a vital
part of our community today. In addition, churches and community organizations
established in the 1800s are still active in Euharlee today. The Euharlee
Farmers Club, established in 1883 is the oldest continuously operating farmers
club in the world.
Following the Civil War and up through the early twentieth
century, the population of the town dwindled. In 1970 it had dipped to a
population of 65. The town was re-chartered in 1976 and has experienced
continued residential and economic growth.